Educational Series Commissioning Project Registration
Young Composers Collaborating with HMPublications and HMQuartet
Edition 1 was completed in February of 2018 with five new marimba quartets by Jared Coffin, Adam Hopper, Daniel Krumm, Caleb Pickering, and Andrew Veit for high school and young college level players. HM is launching Editions 2 and 3 to continue generating high quality and engaging repertoire for students! Up to four composers will be chosen from the pool of applicants and be paid a $500 commissioning fee in addition to recordings and publications.
See below for registration form, fee payment, and information regarding specifications of the new composition.
Please fill out the form below to apply for Editions 2 and 3 of the HMPublications/Quartet Educational Series Project.
Your application is complete once we have received this form and your $25 registration fee.
- Registration deadline – November 1, 2018
- Up to four composers chosen for commission of a new marimba quartet – December 15, 2018
- New quartets completed and submitted to HMQ – April 15, 2019
- HMQ records, publication and video released – August 15, 2019
- Registration deadline – March 1, 2019
- Up to four composers chosen for commission of a new marimba quartet – April 15, 2019
- New quartets completed and submitted to HMQ – August 15, 2019
- HMQ records, publication and video released – January 15, 2020
The guidelines for the new commission are as follows:
- The work must be within the abilities of most high school percussionists.
- The piece should be no longer than 6 minutes.
- The piece should not require more than one 5-octave marimba. (It is advisable to include ossia options for notes below F2, or even A2. As a 4.5-oct., or definitely a 4.3-oct. marimba will be more common in high schools.)
- We leave this up to you, as many schools are starting to own 5-oct. instruments.
- Parts can require 4-mallet playing. A combination of both 2 and 4-mallet playing within the individual parts is great for pedagogical purposes, or having some parts be for 2-mallets only and some for 4-mallets is also a good approach.
- It is encouraged that the piece require only 2 or 3 marimbas. Some scenarios can be:
- Players 1 and 4 on a 5-oct. instrument, and players 2 and 3 each on their own 4.3 or 4-octave marimbas.
- Players 2 and 4 on a 5 or 4.5-oct. instrument and players 1 and 3 on a 4.3-oct. marimba.
- It is acceptable to include xylophone as one of the instruments, or an additional instrument.
- HMQ will not maintain exclusivity of the work beyond the publication and recording release date.
- You must agree to publish the work with HMP.
- No ensemble shall be allowed to perform the work before the scheduled publication and recording release date.